Monday, February 12, 2007

Which agents actively trawl for writers? Plus a cheerful look at conference etiquette

Don't have an agent? Don't have conference fees? Feeling out of the loop?

The best way back into the loop is through conferences. There you can hear all the tips and advice and find out what the industry needs as it moves in this rapidly changing information-driven world.

BUT if you've been to the conferences at a time when your work wasn't ripe to sell, and need to know who's trawling for authors now, then go to writers' conference websites and find out who's touring. Agencies will send people who need to build their list of authors; newly-opened agencies will cherry-pick from conferences; and one-man bands will also trawl for writers.

It's best to get your butt to the conference, get your mug in front of the agent with a good-looking business card that lists your website and your blog, practice your thirty-second pitch speech in the mirror the night before, and give it to the agent with lots of direct eye contact and a firm handshake. Professional. That's what sells and that's what you've got to appear to be.

I learned two conferences ago not to have pretty folders with my tear sheets and the first ten pages of the novel ready to hand to the agents. Each person said they never accept manuscripts at conferences. They prefer to receive your information by email. So don't look like a dork and try to thrust anything on them bigger than your business card. And be ready with pen and paper in case they've run out of cards and want to give you their contact details.

I'm like all writers. I sit in my office, most of the time with a makeup free face and my weight-lifting gear still on. If I remember to put on earrings and extra deoderant after my workout (I do shower every morning, so it's not as stinky as all that), it's a bonus. But the dog and the cat don't care. However, as my children continue to remind me when I get too freaky - looks matter. As much as I hate it, people respond better to people who look normal. They give you more attentive service for looking normal. They want to please you if you make an effort to please them by wearing nice clothes.

Clothes at conferences - I consider them tax deductible. These are clothes I will never wear other than at a conference, or some job interview I may attend in another incarnation. Makeup for conferences - same. I don't wear makeup, (despite the blue lady), except for eyeliner and mascara and lipgloss from CVS. So if I have to get my nails done and put Crest strips on my teeth and buy shoes, foundation and the whole Eddie Murphy, I think that goes down as a conference expense.

Do not go to conferences on what you cobble together from your existing wardrobe, ok? I did that my first conference. What was I thinking with those beaded cream party shoes and a sensible skirt? Apart from falling off my shoes regularly because of the hefty case - full of all those useless folders for agents, remember? - I felt stupid and out of place. Wear a black pumps and black trousers, a decent jacket and a nice sweater or not-too-dressy blouse.

Get the Mary Kay lady to show you the latest tips for applying makeup, and then practice at it. Hold dry runs. Makeup is a real pain-in-the-tuchus for me. I played in trees and wrestled with the neighbor boys, instead of Barbie. I was disappointed to learn the makeup I'd bought and worn forever - blue eyeshadow and silver eyeliner - had to go, despite the 80s being 'back' this season. In came various shades of brown, with matching shades of brown lipstick. Sadly, sparkles are out.

You're going to be at it for a couple days, back and forth to the coffee table and in and out of sessions, so be comfortable while you look nice. Show your personality through your earrings and your manicure, rather than mis-matched I-live-in-a-garrett clothes, or drama queen scarves you bought because you wanted to look like a writer.

Writers who make it are extremely together and professional. Be her.

PS - Thanks for the comment Isabel! (Previous post). I'm glad I wasn't the only bluesy chick scrabbling for inspiration last week. Hope you found yours!

Technorati Tags:, , , , , , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

No comments: