Friday, September 24, 2010

Lee and Coco Dancing

I'm enjoying Mercoledi Creativo at Via Vecchia winery - aka, Creative Wednesday. Never know how many people will show up, sometimes more, sometimes a handful, even so I enjoy being in a time and space that's dedicated to artists.

There's something about sharing the energy with other artists who are not in my discipline that makes me appreciate what it means to make art your life.

Last Wednesday I hung out with my friend Sue, who's a visual artist, and watched Anna Sullivan practice climbing silks hung from a central beam, and talked with Jason the photographer about an upcoming article, and read poetry to Coco.

And, of course, there's Paolo's most excellent wine, which he sells half price on Wednesday. Paolo rolls in at 1am on those nights, totally stoked by seeing one of his dreams come true - to be able to support artists and performers with his space.

Here's a poem inspired by Lee and Coco practicing a phrase Lee choreographed for Independents Day.

Lee and Coco Dancing

I.
We take this bright drop of silver
and wish, work, grow

roll our hips around
swirl our throats around
our painted voice
our dancing song.

II.
Long throat
straight chin
iron torso
small breasts, tight to the body.

All of her belongs to her.

No comments: