Tuesday, July 25, 2006

airsoft for breakfast

I'm staring at an airsoft course of ten camouflaged plastic 60-gallon drums with boards and scraps of cardboard leaning against them. They're spread over two acres in tall grasses, and we expect about seven teenagers today to dodge plastic bee-bees and ticks playing capture the flag, before cooling off with drinks & pizza.
It's disconcerting to think that in some countries kids their ages would be carrying metal guns and doing this for real, but I know that's true particularly in Africa and the Middle East.
I don't like gun games.
My son tells me that some parents at his school buy their children real guns. The children save up their allowances and the parents take care of what little paperwork is required. I find this disturbing too.
Airsoft is a game, but it's a child's game that prepares for war and violence. I'm sure they're learning other things too - like how to organize a group, how to work together, and to create rules.
I never thought I'd be the kind of person who would allow playstation or airsoft. I'm a books and wooden toys sort of parent. But I also know the importance of being in the culture you are raised in, and this is part of his culture.
Although I'm a pacifist, I know that oddly, somehow, this is right for my son, and he needs to explore this part of his psyche, and this is a safe way to do that.
Still, I keep poking him and saying: 'tell me again you're not planning to join the Army?'

No comments: