Saturday, May 19, 2012

Quantum Fire debut

Sitting on Zeus' throne.
In Near Miss - a short story I published in the Across Town anthology by Columbus Creative Co-operative - the protagonist sews costumes for the vibrant arts scene in Columbus.

Last week, I was able to be part of that scene when Quantum Fire debuted at the arts festival Agora at Junctionview. Fire spinners with poi, staff and hoops, and fire eaters wove a play from Greek myth, with eye-popping flame effects from giant propane torches.

Although I didn't take part in Quantum Fire's first gig, my husband airbrushed my face, and created a headdress for me. I don't know whether I was Mrs Ninja, or an extra from Revenge of the Sith, but it sure drew stares and people asking: "Do you mind if I take your picture?"

I'm glad to hear that Quantum Fire will keep on smokin' with more performances in the pipeline. Over the winter, the troupe practiced their fire and hoop spinning techniques (unlit) at Via Vecchia Winery. I spent many happy evenings chatting with the artists - cross-pollination, I call it, while working on stories or just drinking wine and hanging out.

Next year, I plan to spend more time spinning the hoops and learning to twirl the staffs and poi. I feel inspired to "light up" at least once with Quantum Fire.

No comments: