Monday, May 01, 2006

who's the grandma?

This afternoon, sitting in the sunshine on my back porch content as the cat, I got a call on my cell. An elderly, Southern woman asked for Adriana.
"There's no-one here by that name," I said, fully expecting to press 'end' the next second.
"I'm your Grandma!"
She said it so forcefully, it took me a moment to realize this was my cell and not a call from Beyond the Veil. "I'm afraid not. I haven't got any grandmas. They're deceased."
"I am not deceased!" the disgruntled lady almost shouted her indignance in my ear.
"I think you have the wrong number," I insisted.
"Is this the McCoy's?"
"No, it's not."
"Oh, I'm sorry dear," she replied, a bit deflated.
"That's ok," I said.
"Love you," she told me.
"Bye."
My cell captured her number. Part of me wants to call her back and ask if I can be adopted. I sure hope those McCoys are nice to such a lovely woman. How often do complete strangers say 'love you'? I can think of only one other time in my life, and then it was me doing the saying.

No comments: